Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Dominican Republic - May 5

Today Paul and I arrived in the Dominican Republic. The flight was pretty good. I watched Jumper on the way down. We landed in Santo Domingo at 10:15PM. The wait to get our luggage was a long one. It was interesting going through customs - mostly because all the forms were in Spanish, and my Spanish is pretty poor. I was able to decipher most of it, and just hoped for the best when it came to the rest. We were greeted by Cesar at the airport. Another man was with him who immediately came up and gave me a big smile and a hug. Then insisted on taking my luggage for me. I was really hoping that he was with Cesar - he was pretty wrapped up in seeing Paul for the first time in two weeks. It turns out that he is a long time friend of Cesar's. His name is Jesus, but friends call him Chucho (I'm sure I'm spelling that wrong).

It's late as we drive into Santo Domingo. The first thing that strikes me is how much trash is on the streets. Kind of surprised me actually. And there were a LOT of people out on the streets for such a late hour on a Monday night. Many people out and about, and many women out working for the evening.

We got to the hotel, La Casona Dorado. It is pretty nice, seems clean and safe. The bed is EXTREMELY firm! And it's COLD. Apparently, they don't mess around when it comes to air conditioning.

Although it was late, we decided to go out for a bite to eat. A few blocks away was Cafe Manolo. I was tired and played it safe and ordered a Cuban Sandwich and a Coke "Light." I crashed in my room after that. All thoughts of practicing a little more Spanish left with the last bit of energy I had.

No comments: