Saturday, May 24, 2008

Dominican Republic - May 9

It’s our last full day here, we fly out tomorrow. We picked up Chucho and went to the Botanical Garden. It’s a huge garden right in town. The place was full of school children there for a field trip. They have a train tour (actually a tram), but we decided to take the tour alone on foot. So, we didn’t get the history of the garden, but I think we saw a lot of things that we would have otherwise missed.

We saw some incredible torch gingers. Licuela palms very commonly used all over the city were 6 feet tall here (we’ve babied ours at home to a meer 3-4 feet at the tip). You could see that the garden used to be much more that it was today. Many of the exhibits were closed or in disarray and overgrown. People aren’t as interested in that type of attraction anymore. But you could see how grand it once was. I still took a lot of pictures, and had a great time. At one point we took the trail down through the canyon – which was all overgrown by plants and vines. It led down to a small stream. We didn’t follow it all the way because we couldn’t get through the jungle, but it was really cool to see.

Many of the plants were the same that we see here in Florida – lots of palms, crotons and bromeliads. But it was fun to see them in a different environment. Unfortunately, the orchid exhibit was closed at the time, so we didn’t get to see it.

Afterwards we had lunch at Rey’s Mexican Restaurant – I had a Burrito Pollo and of course Presidenté.

Back at the hotel Paul and I hit the pool again while Cesar met to meet his uncles in town.

It’s been a busy week, and after 5 days, it’s a little easier for me to understand conversations in Spanish, but still muy dificil hablar.

One funny thing that I learned was that the TV Stations don’t stay the same. One night in my room, while I was jotting down notes of our activities from the day, I was watching a movie, “Evolution” with David Duchovny, when about an hour into it, it changed to a Columbian infomercial! Not that the movie was an Oscar winner, but I still wanted to see the ending!

All in all, I really enjoyed my visit to the Dominican Republic. And I am so grateful that Cesar offered to be our host and show us his home. There is so much more that we just didn’t have time to see – you can’t do it all in a week. I think if I were to go back, I would want to visit the North and East coasts. I think the North coast is more mountainous and is more like a jungle. Who knows, maybe someday I’ll get the opportunity to return.

View this entire day's album...

2 comments:

Praers said...

I love your story. Living vicariously through you is my new hobby - especially when you go on such beautiful trips. Now I must find a Presidente (I think they have them at Shep's on 4th) and some spiced beans and rice. Yum.
Thank you so much for sharing your tale and your pictures

callenstewart said...

I bet you're right! I'm gonna have to check out Sheps.