Thursday, April 22, 2010

An explanation...

Hi. My name is Chris and I'm a thinker.

Okay - to explain a little bit of my comments... I've come to the realization that I'm someone who thinks he's interested in learning or doing all kinds of things, but once I have an understanding of HOW something is done (please understand that I am not confusing this with SKILL), I tend to loose momentum. Interest is still there, I'm not as dedicated to it.

I took guitar lessons this year - which I've talked about doing for YEARS. But, once the lessons were over... well, I haven't touched it since. I bought a really cool camera (Nikon D90) last year and I "understand" the concept of photography, but again, my momentum has really slowed. The same can be said for learning Photoshop, Spanish (also French, Italian, Latin and Navajo - yes, Navajo. I blame author Tony Kellerman). I throw myself into it head-first. But once I get the concept, I'm ready to move on to something else.

Now that I understand this tendency, I need to know how to hold on to those interests and keep motivated. I have no idea how to do that. Or should I just accept that I am always going to be a "jack of all trade, master of none?"

A friend of mine and I were sitting around chattin' recently and I was talking about some of the VERY vivid dreams I have - and have had all my life. And she noticed a theme - I'm always solving some sort of problem in my dreams. I don't know if that has anything to do with this or not, but I feel like there's a connection. Like maybe once I've conquered the "idea" of a skill, I'm finished with it. Hmm...

4 comments:

Junkie Gems said...

I am sailing in the same boat with you. I am really trying take the advice from a "good friend" to "Not get in my own way."
Just because I know how to sail a boat doesn't mean that I have seen all there is to see. Go back and explore it you may have missed something.
XOXO

Tales from TV said...

Very good advice. Thank you. :)

LeGarten佳琳 said...

April showers bring May flowers. ....................................................

M212aeganT_Moe1 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.